Monday 31 July 2017

Renovated jewellery box


 
Yet another find from a flea market - a gilt wooden casket in the shape of a book. One of the hinges was broken, and a lot of the gilding at the front and spine was missing. At first I intended to make this my first experiment in gold leaf gilding, but then found a very quick and neat solution: gilding cream. Means all the gold particles come already mixed with polishing wax and need only be put onto the surface. And excellent choice for small carvings for example. And a very quick one in this case, although I will have to go over it with a slightly darker shade to get some shading.




As this should become the countess' box for earrings, I constructed the same kind of foam thingy I used for the ring-box. This time the lid was flat inside, so I had to cut the foam a little shallower than the inside of the box.


The rest of the procedure is the same: cut, tuck, double-sided tape, and put in the bling ;) By the way, a good source for false but period looking historic jewellery is Nehelenia.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment