Tuesday 7 October 2014

Two vintage chairs

...dating from around 1900 (or a bit earlier). If they are slightly damaged, you get them rather cheap, so I decided to invest a little handiwork and would soon have two splendid old chairs to add to my collection of old and semi-old junk.

Or so I thought.

Removing the old layer of varnish from every nook and cranny of the carving by hand was more time-consuming than I thought, so the "soon" will more likely be a "in a couple of years", considering my creative schedule! But let's see...

...and in the meantime I have found two more of exactly the same style, same low price, same condition. I have removed the broken cane (and the gruesome plywood seating surface that must have been a quick repair solution) and am currently looking for an affordable sander as I need the chairs for my new flat and sanding by hand takes ages...

...and I'm not the most patient person...

...and I only got six more chairs just so, not the same style and in even worse condition (covered in worn velvet that has to be removed), but how could I decline the offer of antique chairs and a table for free! So we're currently at a round ten chairs to restore asap, thankfully the table is almost ok...

No comments:

Post a Comment